Sunday, July 22, 2007

12 Hours

WARNING: Do NOT read any further if you have not finished the book!

Hannah got up at 6 am. Katie had to be up at 7:30. Susie was picking her up around 8:30. So at 6:30 when I realized Hannah was not going back to sleep I started reading. I finished it at 6:20 the same evening. Now don't think I was neglecting the kids! I did take breaks and have breakfast and lunch with them but Brent also took them to the Air Museum in the afternoon then we took them up to Grandma and Papa's house. I didn't read for 12 hours straight - it probably took me 8-9 hours of reading.

I was incredibly sad when Hedwig was killed. Totally didn't expect it. I was amazingly sad when Fred died. I adored the Snape memories of Lily. All these years Snape was the "bad guy" and in reality he loved Lily and would have done anything for her. I think that was brilliant on JKR part to make him so evil to Harry and yet have a soft side for him as well. I loved the whole battle scene and the ending. Harry does die but doesn't stay dead - love it. My only problem with the book was the epilogue.

Harry and Ginny and Ron and Hermionie - totally expected. Love the names of Harry and Ginny's children expecially Albus Severus. Like the name Rose for Ron and Hermionie's girl but Hugo? I want to know where those names come in. Like how Draco Malfoy has a child named Scorpius - very fitting. But I wanted a bit more. We find out about Neville - a little. I want to know more about Luna. What happens to her? Is she still as wonderfully dingy as she has been?
What about Teddy? Who does he live with and just how much contact does Harry have with him? I would think with Tonks and Lupin gone that Harry would have taken him in and given him the home he never had as a child. Tonks' mother was caring for the boy when they died but is she still alive 19 years later? And why was he even near the train when he is 19 and shouldn't be going to Hogwarts?
And what happens with George? How has he handled his brother's death? What about Bill and Fleur? Do they have children and do those children go to Hogwarts?
And Hogwarts - who is the new Head? McGonagall? Someone new? What about McGonagall - what has she done with herself? And Hagrid? Where is he and what is he teaching or up too? Do they have contact with Harry, Ron, Hermionie and Ginny?

So many unanswered questions still in terms of the people. JKR tied up all the lose ends when it came to Harry, Ron, Hermionie and Ginny but not the minor characters that were so important as well.

Oh well, I loved the book. I'm re-reading it with Brandon right now - we are on chapter 2 and I imagine we will read at least a chapter or two tonight and several tomorrow. (I read chapter 1 to him when I had gotten through chapter 8 and chapter 2 at Grandma and Papa's - see that is an hour right there taken from the time.)

I'm sad it is over and I hope I can find another series that Brandon can get into the way he has enjoyed this one. He loves to pull one down and just start reading. So great for his imagination!

1 comment:

Susie said...

I just finished mine. I agree about the epilogue. Although JKR says she is not going to do anymore Harry Potter, who is to say that she doesn't do anything about the children of Ron, Harry, and Hermione. It would be fabulous if she did, although with no "bad guy" it could be hard. Could there be something with Teddy?