Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Update

Hannah's appointment is over. It wasn't fun. She cried, I cried, we left. She cried from the time we got her undressed and up on the table and didn't stop until we went to my parent's house and she fell asleep on Brent's lap. She has not gone to the bathroom since she was finished with the procedure which was over at about 10:00 this morning. (It is now 3:30) She keeps complaining that she has a "rash" and can't go to the bathroom. I imagine she feels like she has a diaper rash or something. We are trying to convince her that she has to go to the bathroom but she is very stubborn. I feel so bad for her. We are pushing fluids and icepops and anything that will encourage her to got to the bathroom. Every once in awhile she says "Ouch, ouch, my heiny" in a high pitched voice. But she refuses to go to the bathroom. When she does go it will hurt (burn) but then her stomach won't hurt.

She will have surgery to correct the reflux. This will protect her kidney from any damage from UTI's that gets. It will not stop the UTI's. We will have her on long term antibiotics until we are sure that she has outgrown them. (The antibiotics are specific for bladders so if she builds up resistance it won't cause problems if she needs antibiotics for something else in the future.) We decided that since the surgery was 99% effective and the other option wasn't a guarantee that this was the best choice. She would have had to have the VCUG again to see if it worked and I don't want to do that. We are waiting for the scheduler to call us with a date for the surgery. She will be in the hospital for about 3 days. We'll take the day off when she has to go in then my mom will sit with her during the days, I'll pick up Brandon, my mom will switch with me with Brandon, Brent and I will both spend the evenings with her and I'll spend the nights at the hospital, Brent will pick Brandon up from my mom and take him home for the evening. We don't want her to be alone for any length of time at the hospital.

More news: someone found Kodi. We still haven't gotten him back. A vet in town called as soon as we walked into my parent's house this morning and said a woman brought in "her" dog to get his claws trimmed and vaccinated. She told the vet that he was a stray that they have had since the end of July (Kodi went "missing" on July 27). The vet decided that since he was a well kept dog (and purebred) that they should scan him to see if he is microchipped. Well, he is! They got our name and phone number and the vet called. She gave me the woman's name and phone numbers and I called right away. I left a message on her cell phone but her house phone doesn't have an answering machine. Susie did a reverse look up (or something) and found out the address. It is almost directly across Swan maybe a mile away (less by the way the crow flies). I passed the house on my way back from picking Brandon up from school and there was a truck in the driveway so I called the house phone again. I told the man who answered who I was and why I was calling. I asked when I could come by and pick up "Snow" (the name they are calling Kodi fitting since his pedigree name is J********'s Kodiak Snow). He didn't sound very happy about it. He questioned me as to when "Snow" went missing - July - what kind of dog is he - American Eskimo. Said his wife would call me back. I had called the vet back earlier and the receptionist told me that the woman was a regular so she must have pets and must realize we would be missing him. The woman said she would follow up on getting him back to us but the vet didn't seem convinced. We have the law on our side since he is microchipped in our name. We have his pedigree. I'm even thinking that he was due for 2 of his shots so I would even be willing to pay the people for those two but no more since if they had taken him to the vet before or to the humane society or animal control they wouldn't have had to pay for these shots. I'm guessing that they realize he is a beautiful, purebred dog with a wonderful personality and they don't want to give him up. They may fight us a bit. After 2 months I don't think we should even offer them a reward or give them one should they ask. They had our dog for 2 months - Come On! We'll see what happens. They are supposed to call my cell this afternoon and make arrangements with us for pick-up. I'm feeling a little leary.

1 comment:

Danette said...

I hate that this "woman" has taken your dog. Thank goodness for the microchip! Hopefully since the dog is chipped in your name, she won't be able to do anything except give him back to you. I hope ot goes smoothly and the woman isn't ugly about it!