First, our social worker went on vacation until the 4th which means that if the CPS paperwork comes in this week she won't get it until next week. That means the court certification won't get started until next week which means it won't be back to us until maybe the 17th of July which means if we go over on our 171H we could have problems. Our 171H expires on August 25. We have to be back from China by August 25. Not in China coming home but back. I'm a little stressed because it takes at least 1 month for CIS to process the paperwork if we get the update by July 20 and get it mailed to them we MAY have it back by August 20. I'm praying and hoping we are home by then with Sarah.
We went camping this weekend up north. Brent was looking for cooler temperatures. There have been some monsoon storms in the past week so I was worried about getting rained on. Both of the kids and the dog are afraid of thunder. Can you see us all huddled in a tent awake because it is thundering? Yup, me either.
We left home at about 4:00 and headed up the mountain. At 7:00 we finally found a place close to go. It took us another 20 minutes or so on a dirt road to get to the campground. Skies were clear - good sign. Sun hadn't set all the way - another good sign because we still had the tent to put up.
Brent pulls the tent out and it is our old one - prekids (well at least pre-Hannah) We did go camping once or twice in the same tent when Brandon was a baby and we could fit him in between us. The tent fits a full air mattress with about 12-15 inches on one side. We also brought the kids play tents. I'm sure they can be used for sleeping in. We have used them in the house and in the backyard. We aren't exactly sure where our bigger - family friendly tent is.
Tents go up, kids play, we attempt to make s'mores. While in theory the kids LOVE the idea - it doesn't work well. Brent - in charge of packing - did not bring a BBQ fork. The kids were looking for sticks to toast marshmellows. They kept bringing me sticks that were about 10 inches long and twice the size of a pencil. First, too fat. Second, if you think I'm going to let you lean over a fire with a too short stick you are crazy! I wasn't very popular at that point. Finally, Hannah found a stick that was skinny enough but not nearly long enough for my comfort to let them toast the marshmellow themselves. Still not popular as I roast marshmellows. Brandon wants his on fire but he won't eat the burned part. Okay! Hannah will take a bite out of a lightly browned marshmellow but doesn't want it anymore after that.
H: Can you do another one for me please, Mommy?
M: But you didn't eat the one I just did!
H: That's okay, Daddy can eat that one. (it is sitting on a picnic table that probably has only been "clean" the day it was put there)
Hannah wants to tell stories. It is now 8:30 and dark - finally. Prior to the darkness it is still "morning-time" and Hannah fights going to bed. They tell silly stories.
Bed-time 9:00. There is not much room in the tent. It is decided that Mommy will sleep in the tent with the kids and Brent will squeeze himself into one of the play tents - hehehe! I get the kids settled, Brent banks the fire for the night and I call out to him "Are you bringing the dog in with you?" He says "There isn't room for the dog, he will be fine just outside the tent." I let it go for a little bit but my guilt gets the better of me at about midnight and bring Kodi in the tent with me. It is so cold! I keep checking to make sure the kids are covered and warm. Brent is snoring away and has been since he laid down.
Fast forward about 4 hours. The sun starts coming up, lightening the sky so the birds start chirping. It is 4:30 and Hannah wakes up. It is "morning-time" and she is not tired anymore. Her talking - she has one volume = loud - wakes Brandon who says he is ready to get up too. Nice. The dog won't get out of the tent to go to the bathroom (the smart one in the bunch). Brent doesn't make any noise - I'm not sure if he is listening to us or still asleep - he can sleep through just about anything. I get up to start the fire. It is damp. It is cold. I'm not very happy to be away at 4:30! I get Brent to get up because the kids are loud, I need him to help get them dressed warmer and to the bathroom.
By 5:30 the kids are fed and they are running around the campsite. It is really difficult to keep them quiet. I cleaned up the tent - wrapped up the sleeping bags because we aren't spending a second night. Then I climbed in the front seat of the car and slept for about 2 hours while Brent went on a "hike" with the kids and dog. Anything to get them away from other campers since we didn't want to wake anyone up.
The kids played all morning in a field by our campsite. They wandered around without a care in the world. Hannah was laying in the middle of the field, completely hidden by the tall grasses. I wish they would play in our backyard like they played in the meadow. It was so nice not to have to "worry" so much about them. Sort-of like it was when Brent and I were kids and wandered our respective neighborhoods. You just can't do that anymore.
On the drive home Hannah slept for 3 hours! She was exhausted and filthy! Brandon didn't sleep but he was equally as filthy. They went to bed at 7:00 Saturday evening and were out like little lights. I cleaned up the shower from the "mud" that came off of them.
I think they had fun.
Monday, June 30, 2008
The weekend
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Carolyn Loved the camping story. When you have time send me an email ltkruger_001@yahoo.com I am wondering when our ta's will be back also. Anyway send me an email. Lisa 123B and ready to go!!!!!!
Post a Comment