can I take them out and play with them?
Yesterday after school Brandon was so excited. He talked the whole 15-20 minute drive up to my parents house to pick up Hannah - non-stop talking - about the class science "project".
Mealworms. Two of them. Two months they are going to observe them. For two months he said they are supposed to bring them home on weekends. I haven't done research yet to see what these things turn into - I think beetles if I remember correctly. He wants to make a "house" for them. They like the dark according to his teacher. They don't like the heat. They can't be in the refrigerator. Huh, we used to feed these to Brent's bearded dragon and that's were we kept them, the refrigerator - it slows them down but doesn't kill them. Apparently they will be in oatmeal and we need to put some "food for water" in with them. He said apples and sweet potatoes. Brandon also said that if we feed them sweet potatoes they will lay eggs. (kind of doubt that but haven't done the research) So, guess what he wants to do? Yup, give them sweet potatoes so he can have some mealworms when he has to give these back in two months.
He named them Shermie and Wormie - original. He wanted to know if he could "take them out and play with them." Ummm, no. Not just no, heck no! Those things are to be put on the desk, fed and left alone! I can just see the container being spllled - oatmeal all over, Molly (the cat) eating one or both, them getting "lost". Nope, watch them from the closed container.
Our new pets - mealworms. I'll post a picture tonight when he brings them home.
Friday, August 17, 2007
When I bring "them" home...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I had a project in 5th grade with meal worms. I made a maze for them in a giant cardboard box to see if they could make it through. =)
Post a Comment