Tuesday, August 21, 2007

For once...

I'm stealing a question from my sister's blog. Does anybody in my family read this? I know (obviously) that she does. I know that a few people in Brent's family do because they have said something in person and I've had an occasional comment.

Her question was because she wondered how "free" she was to post information. I won't post anymore personal information than is already here. People know my name, my children's names, but not our last name or exactly where we live. I feel fairly safe. If I were to "vent" or use language that I normally wouldn't use would people find out?

I have "vents" about people and situations but I haven't posted here. Not sure that I will. I have a private area for that. I wouldn't want to hurt anyones feelings just because I'm upset or my feelings have been hurt.

This blog's main purpose it to keep family informed in our adoption - especially our children when we do get to go to China and they have to stay here for 2 weeks. I'm not doing this for anyone but them because they will miss us and Brandon especially will want to know what is going on with Sarah. (He told me today he wanted to keep driving and go around the world and pick up Sarah on the way.)

So, if you read do you comment? :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess you knew from my mealworm comment that I do read this. I enjoy keeping up with all of you. Thanks for keeping us informed, as we hope and pray with you, and for you about Sarah.

Susie said...

Of course I do.... :) And shame on you for shamelessly stealing something from me... :)

Anonymous said...

I read! It makes me feel not so out of the loop to see what the rest of the family is doing.

Cathy said...

I read it too! I had similar concerns when I first started blogging two years ago but nothing bad has happened in those two years. I picked up a new 'friend' along the way and have had my share of comments from people I don't know but no one has identified me as me and imposed themselves in any unwelcome way. And, as you know, I vent a lot. But I try to keep it 'not personal' and also don't put many identifiers in my postings. Two years ago Blogger was a little more focused on having people 'troll' through new blogs but they don't seem to be so much anymore. There is always the possibility that they will choose your blog as a 'blog of note' and if that happens there would be a lot of attention all at once. But they don't tend to choose blogs that are personal like yours.

You can also maintain a little privacy by using post titles that aren't particularly searchable - stay away from terms or events that people might be searching for.

Anyway, I've been doing this for 2 years without negative repercussions, for what that's worth.

Carry on! We all enjoy it!!