Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Something else I came across today

Someone posted this on a site I frequent and I liked it. (I changed the child's name to Sarah's)

(1) I will be Sarah's mother, not her "adoptive" mother;
(2) similarly Sarah will be our daughter, not our "adopted" daughter;
(3) adoption is something that occurs when the child legally enters a family that is not the biological family; it is not a perpetual state of being. In other words, Sarah is not "adopted," she was "adopted" in the past (of course this will hold true when it does really happen!);
(4) do not use the terms "real" to refer to her biological family. Her birth parents and Brent and I are all real. (Brent and I are going to have to figure out how to address this at some point. I'm sure questions about her birth parents are going to come up and we will have to figure out what to call them.)

No comments: