Thursday, May 24, 2007

Summer is here!

Yesterday was Brandon's last day of 1st grade. I walked over with Hannah and Riley to pick him up, something I don't normally do. Usually we just walk to the fence surrounding the school and wait for him to cross the field.

Well, he comes walking out of the school talking with a little cute little girl named L. We have been hearing bits and pieces about this little girl and another one for a few weeks now. "my best friend, L and my other best friend, Z". They have been writing notes back and forth too. I found one mixed in with all the miscellaneous papers that he shoved in his backpack the other day to bring home. It is something about crayons being missing and maybe ghosts and not going to the gate. I'm going to save it because it is cute. I'm not a saver of school papers. I did a lot in kindergarten but we had room then. I think all those are packed in a box somewhere - either in our shed here or Brent's Grandma's house or at Mom and Dad's house. Who knows - but I'll toss most of it when we do finally get our own house and start weeding through the many boxes still left.

I did save his writing portfolio. Brandon has always loved to learn. I worked with him some in reading and math before Hannah was born. I personally don't like to teach writing. It is hard to teach someone how to get their thoughts down on paper because writing is so personal, everyone has their own style. I have a hard time separating my preferences so I if I have to teach it I will but if I don't I won't. I didn't have to teach Brandon how to writing (I'm not talking about writing his ABC's but really writing thoughts down.) Well, his writing portfolio came home and I can see his "style". Every piece starts with "I'm going to tell you 3 (number can change) things about X". The states his purpose the same way every time. He has good transitions between sentences: first, then, next, second, in addition, third. My friend, Kim would be proud because she loves those types of words. He also takes another sentence after each one to make a comment about why he chose that particular "thing". One of his papers was on what he wants to accomplish by second grade. One of the things he wrote was "I want to get all A's." why "It is hard." Very cute. The other thing that is his style is to restate what he wrote as a conclustion. A few times he wrote "in summary" but I would say about 90% of the time it is: "As I said these are 3 things about X." I love it! I think his teacher told them that this was the way good writers wrote: tell exactly what you are going to talk about, give your examples and supporting sentences (why you chose those things), write a conclusion (what did you write about). He took it to heart and wrote exactly that.

He cried when we walked toward home. He is so sensitive. I asked what was wrong - he didn't want school to be over for the summer. (fyi - he does know he isn't going back there next year) I thought maybe it had to do with leaving his friends - nope. I thought it had to do with leaving his teacher - nope. He likes his "brain to be thinking" and how was it going to do that if he wasn't at school? So we talked about doing "things" this summer. He wants to do science but he doesn't have a book, "how can you do science without a book?" Umm, gee, I don't know Brandon - we do experiments and research at the library or on the computer? Nope, I don't know how we can do science without a book! Uggh! Just a little frustrated about that since it makes me believe they didn't do much hands on stuff for SCIENCE! If you can't see it work how are you supposed to process it?

Anyway, school is out, summer has started, it is going to be busy. Kate has a "get out of school" party today at Mom and Dad's that she invited Brandon too. Hannah as well but she is going over to the other Grandma's for a bit. We will probably head over there as well (hey hamburgers and hot dogs for dinner, right?) I want to take Brandon to the library to sign him up for the reading program. Mom says someone told her Hannah can sign up as well - good thing we read a lot with her! Now that we live in town with some of Brandon's good friends I imagine we will be spending quite a bit of time with them too. With ice skating gone from around here Brandon has discovered roller skating so he wants to do that some this summer. I think it will be really crowded but we may try it a time or two.

Off to start the first summer day - the library and Kate's party.....

No comments: