http://mysite.verizon.net/jiejie1/ChineseNames.htm
This site has many beautiful Chinese Names.
It also has how to pronounce them - which is tricky sometimes.
For example: Mei can mean MANY different things and the intonation of the word means different things. So if you know the Chinese symbol for Mei you can figure out how to say Mei using that symbol.
玫 - Mei(2) This is the Mei we are going to use for Sarah's middle name. The (2) tells you how to pronounce it. If you go to the above site and scroll down to the Mei with the symbol 玫 you can hear how it is pronounced. It is pretty much "may".means rose, connotes being "as pretty as a rose"... names derived from this word include: Yimei (one who is a rose), Ganmei (sweet rose), Baimei (white rose), Ruimei (rosebud), Xiaomei (little rose), Zhanmei (unfolding rose), Meizi (rose-like bearing or posture), Meige (rose song), Meizhi (the branch of a rose bush),, Meihui (wise rose)
小 - Xiao (3) is pronounced "sh-ow" (like you are telling someone to be quiet then someone pinched you)means small or little... names derived from this word include: Xiaoya (small and refined), Xiaozhi (little iris), Xiaoqing (little blue), Xiaolian (little lotus), Xiaohui (little wisdom)
瑰 - Gui (1) pronounced "g-way" Dad went to a science fair thing in New Mexico and met a boy from China. He got to talking to him through an interpreter and the boy said that Rose was MeiGui. I can't find it specifically here with this symbol but I think this is the one that would be used. This one is kind of pretty too.means magnificent, extraordinary; or a rose; or surpassingly beautiful... names derived from this word include: Guiwei (magnificent and beautiful weft), Ligui (as pretty as a rose) and can also be Limei (li is prounounced Lee), Guizi (having a graceful appearance, like a rose), Qigui (magnificently beautiful open-work silk)
So, the "problem" is which do we choose if we want her middle name to mean "rose"?
Here are more of the ones we may be considering:
Xiaomei "little rose" (sh-ow may)小玫
Meigui "rose" (may g-way)玫瑰
Ligui "as pretty as a rose" (pronounced lee g-way)麗瑰
Limei "as pretty as a rose" (lee may)麗玫
Meige "rose song" (pronounced may - guuuuh)玫歌
Zhanmei "unfolding rose" (pronounced like john may)展玫
Ruimei "rosebud" (ray may)蕊玫
Brent is leaning toward Xiaomei but I haven't asked him specifically why he likes that name so much.
I like Xiaomei for a few reasons. I think having an X for a middle initial is pretty unique. I like thinking that Hannah is our "rose" and Sarah will be our "little rose". Of course using the last bit of logic Ruimei makes sense too, rose and rosebud. Although I'm not too sure I like how Ruimei sounds. Same for Zhanmei - Z for a middle initial is unique as well and an unfolding rose could be a rosebud.
We told Brandon that he could "choose" Sarah's middle name since Kate chose Hannah's. We explained why we aren't going to use Meiying anymore so now we have to "encourage" another name. I think if Brent and I pick two we like and let him choose that will make him feel like he got to "pick" her name. At least he is on the same page as us in terms of what we want her middle name to mean.
I could probably spend a long time combing this site to find names that I "like" that mean rose. The problem is chosing one.
Thursday, May 10, 2007
Pondering Middle Names
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment